Angus Fender Racing

Super One Round 5: Larkhall

12-15th August

Following on from one of the best karting weekends I’ve ever had, I was hoping for much of the same around the Larkhall circuit. Friday’s practice showed very strong pace in both wet and dry and and once again, come Saturday I grabbed my second pole position of the 2016 Super One series by 2 tenths. So I started pole for both heats, making a good start in both and going on to win both heats by 2.3 seconds and 1.2 seconds respectively setting me up well for Sunday, starting on pole again for the first of the finals.
Sunday arrived and from pole I made a great start pulling a second’s gap in the first lap. However in this final my kart felt much worse as my tyres started to go off. Being a taller driver the tyres take more wear and I knew was getting caught. Having no choice but to defend with two laps to go, I was holding back the second place driver until leaving the first corner of the last lap when I took a hit through turn one, pushing me wider than I’d have wanted. Still holding the place, coming into a single file right hander, I took another big hit and I was spun from the lead down to 8th. Although the competitor who spun me out received a ten second time penalty, it was pretty disappointing to only finish 7th.
Having to start Final Two from P7 I knew I had much to do. After turn one I’d gained four places to third and at the end of the back straight I made a move for second. Unfortunately, that’s as good as it got this time around as the kart once again felt nervous and I began to drop off the lead. I fell to third and was just keeping fourth place behind me as the chequered flag flew.

Despite some setbacks, I still left Larkhall having gained 3 points on the championship lead bringing it to just 4 points away from me, counting dropped rounds. The last round is at P.F. International in Lincolnshire and it’s all to play for. It’s certainly been an exciting year. I’m praying for a dose of good luck and have enough confidence to know that if I drive as well as I know I can the 2016 Super One British Karting Championship can be mine. Bring it on!

NEWS & RACES

Ginetta GT4 Supercup 2018 Round 6 – Rockingham

Ginetta GT4 Supercup 2018 Round 5 – Snetterton

Ginetta GT4 Supercup 2018 Round 4 – Croft